Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Behaving Badly

Kiddy#1 had her birthday party at school yesterday.  Turned out that sometime during the course of the day she kicked her teacher.  This is not like her at all and I'm not entirely sure if it is true as I haven't heard it from the teacher, but this is what one of her classmates has said.

For some reason I am tempted to believe her as Kiddy#1 has really been acting out lately.  To say it is worrying is to say the least!  The move and new school and new surroundings seem to be having a bigger effect on her than we thought.  In fact I was more concerned about how her little sister, Kiddy#2 will adapt as she is the shy one.

By last night I was so worked up over this that I could hardly sleep.  I would never have thought that this is an issue we would ever have to deal with!  One might worry about them being bullied (which I still worry about), but not that they would be bullying others.  By the way, apparently she also hit another child yesterday.  I arrived at school to find her alone in the classroom with the cleaners, crying.  Her teacher came in explaining that she had hit another child and she was told to apologize and instead she ran into the classroom crying.  I have no idea why she hit her or why she was crying.

I have asked her to apologize to the little girl and she did.  She might have misunderstood the teacher when she asked her to apologize.

I've received advise (which I have asked for :) ) to maybe see a psychiatrist who specializes in dealing with young children with behavioral issues.  So last night Kiddy#1's Dad and I were talking about it.  We haven't made up our minds yet.  I phoned the school this morning to ask that they must please tell us when Kiddy#1 acts out otherwise we won't know if she needs help or even if we just need to talk to her.  The lovely lady at school assured me that they will let us know if there is anything to worry about and that Kiddy#1 is just trying to find her place still in her new surroundings.  She said that they know that kids can react in this way when they are in a new environment and that they know how to deal with them.  I'm so glad they don't just label her a 'problem-child' and start treating her differently.  They really seem to be caring for the children and it really is comforting to know they are in good hands.

I feel so much better today.

No comments: