Friday, April 11, 2014

Tranquil breakaway weekend

I shared my epiphany about writing a children's book with hubby the evening after my previous post and his response was "just finish your photography course first!".  As much as I hate to admit it, he probably has a point.  So the plans have changed ever so slightly.  I will finish my course first and THEN focus on the book-writing issue again... hopefully in the not to distant future.

Two weekends ago we went away to get a break from the hectic city life.  We visited a lovely cottage on a farm just outside of Bredasdorp.


The setting was so peaceful and beautiful.  The girls could just run and play without us having to worry about cars, etc.  We went for walks every afternoon before supper time, getting some fresh air.  Of course we met some weird and wonderful creatures along the way.


The cottage has no electricity so we used a gas stove to boil water for coffee, barbecued meat either on the inside built-in braai or we built a fire outside.  At night we built a fire indoors to warm the place up.



To get hot water for a shower we had to build a fire to heat it up.  There are paraffin lamps in every room and hanging from the chandelier on the patio.


We had a little visitor who gave me an enormous fright when he came flying into the lounge where we were sitting by the fire the 2nd evening!  He was so cute though.


All in all a great weekend away.  I'm already looking forward to start planning our next trip.  But for now, as instructed, I better make progress with my photography course first.  Of course a trip is an ideal way to take on-location shots...  I'm just saying...


2 comments:

Heather said...

You are a good photographer! Good luck with the book idea. I did write something and I just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet...

Marianna Pieterse's Stories said...

Thanks Heather :) I'm glad you like the pictures. I'm excited to at least try to write something, but will definitely have to finish my course first. I hope you will be able to finish yours soon! You must keep us posted :)